Monday, July 2, 2007

Saluting, dining, and retiring

Friday night the children and I had the opportunity to meet up with my Sister Beth, and her son Johnathan. My children were able to watch 3 flags being taken down for the night and see close to 100 people stand at attention while it was done. Then the kids had a yummy cheeseburger dinner. The adults on the other hand had a real treat. One of the parents of a new child in the cub scout troup is a chef and owns a resturaunt in down town Springfield. He made a great Greek style dish. It was thick pasta noodles with an oliveoil, rosemary, olive, tomato, onion sauce. He also served ceaser salad and bread. The best part though, was the jumbo shrimp skewers he had cooked on the grill. Oh, it was delicious.

After that we were able to witness a flag retirement ceromony. It is where a flag that is old and tattered is destroyed by fire with dignity and respect. It was really special and brought tears to my eyes and a warmth for our country. There was a young man there that is an older sibling for a scout in my Sister's troup who is doing his Eagle Scout project. He has collected over 300 flags to retire. I got him another one today when they replaced the old one here at our complex.

I've got to dash. Lori needs help with some Geneology work.

No comments: